My very first bread recipe. A lean, wet dough of just flour, water, yeast and salt.
- Apple Sauce
- Fruit Jelly (strawberry jelly, mango jelly)
- Bean Spread (hummus)
- Nut Butter (peanut butter)
- Avocado (guacamole)
- Sandwich Bread
- Bread Stuffing
- Bread Dumplings
- Veggie Burger Bread (How to shape into rolls?)
Whole grain bread traditional before last 100 years. White bread is industrial preference. Whole wheat flour requires about 10% more hydration than white flour. This dough is 72% hydration. Very good sandwich loaf, soft with some larger holes in crumb. Also use for pizza and kids bread shapes.
Makes 8.5 x 4.5 inch 1 pound loaf.
- 4 cups (500g) whole wheat flour (hard white wheat)
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cup (360g) water
In mixing bowl combine and mix dry ingredients. Combine water until absorbed. Rest in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight. Dough will double while cooling in refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator and punch down. Allow to return to room temperature ~2h. Stretch and fold 2x if desired. Drop into parchment paper lined bread pan. Bake preheated 450F 35m. (Dark brown-blacking plus slight burn smell at 38m.) Remove from oven and allow to cool. If desired place in bag overnight to soften crust.
- Carbohydrate-Fat-Protein (%): 84/4/2
- Fiber (%): 7.4 (7.4g per 100g)
- Calorie Density (calories/pound): 1,208 calories/pound