Mangoes are seventh popular fruit in the world (40M metric tons). During mango season (Mexico Feb-May), my kids cut and eat them for snacks.
- Ataulfo (Honey, Champagne, low fiber, sweet) from Chiapas, MX (Mar-Sep)
- Tommy Atkins
- Origin: India since 2000 BCE.
Spanish introduced to Mexico from Philippines.
- Cut Fruit (snack)
- Mango Lassi
- Mango Smoothie
- Mango Banana Ice Cream (Blended Frozen Fruit)
As mangoes ripen, freeze (smoothies) any extra cut mangoes.
- 5-6 lb (10-12) per week, family of 5
- Cost: $1.00/lb fresh cheap and abundant. (Mexico Feb: $40 MXN/kg)
- Storage: Keep 1 week fresh (yellow green-yellow-spotted).
- Category: Plant
- Group: Fruit
- Energy: 295 calories/pound (moderate-low)
- Macro Nutrients (C-F-P): 94-3-4 (high starch, low fat, low protein)
Lower energy density (300 cal/lb) than bananas (400 cal/lb). Similar macro-nutrients to bananas.