Uses mix of uncooked and cooked lentils. Dough of blended soaked uncooked lentils holds cooked ingredients together.
Lentils: Soak 2 cups dry brown lentils in water, about 2 hours. Should expand to 4 cups wet. Set aside 2 cups wet uncooked brown lentils. Cook 2 cups in rice cooker, with 1 cup water.
Brown Rice: Soak 1-1/2 cups dry brown rice in water, about 2 hours. Cook in rice cooker with 1-1/2 cups water. Should expand to about 2 cups cooked.
Tomato Paste: Steam, blend and reduce tomatoes into tomato paste. Steam in pot with lid. Blend with high speed blender. Simmer very low until reduces to paste. Furrow made with spoon should hold its shape.
- 2 cups soaked brown lentils
- 1 cup tomato sauce-paste, 12 tomatoes cooked, blended and reduced to paste. Can add garlic, oregano and salt or other spices to taste.
- 2 tsp dehydrated onions (try +3 cloves garlic)
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils (can use refrigerated leftovers)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (can use refrigerated leftovers)
VEGGIES (~1 cup steamed veggies)
- 1 medium or 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 stalk celery, grated
In food processor, grate vegetables, and set aside.
In food processor, blend soaked lentils and tomato paste.
In large bowl, mix cooked lentils and brown rice, then mix in grated veggies, and finally dough.
Shape into loaf, cakes or balls, and cook in oven 350F about 40 min, or until done. With wetter sauce and vegetables, may take longer, another +20m to cook (~60m total). Wait for crust to form and cooked smell.