- Central Asia (Afghanistan?)
Onions were domesticated in Central Asia, probably Afghanistan. They spread east to India and Asia, and west to Iran, Fertile Crescent and Mediterranean, and from there to North America.
Onions are the world’s second most popular vegetable. Onions are common in US, arriving from both Mexico and Europe.
- Soup-Stew Base (Trinity-Sofrito-Curry)
- French Onion Soup
- Mediterranean Salad
- 2-3 lb (3-6 pieces) per week, family of 5
- Cost: $0.50-1.00/lb fresh cheap and abundant (common).
- Storage: Keep 1 week fresh, 2-4 weeks in refrigerator.
- Category: Plant
- Group: Vegetable (root)
- Energy: 200 (182) calories/pound (dry vegetable, low)
- Macro Nutrients (C-F-P): 85-5-10 (90-2-8) (high carbohydrate, low fat, moderate protein)