Work in progress. Still working on brine. Have had these pickles turn bad or go bad.
Uses vinegar instead of salt fermentation. Allows control of salt.
Pour hot brine over raw cucumbers keeps pickles crisp. Compare to Sweet Pickle Relish and Sauerkraut that both cooks the vegetables.
Similar to vinegar-water dressing for cucumber salad.
- 2-3 cucumbers, ends cut, quartered (Fills 1 qt jar. Can top jar with pickle rounds.)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6-8 pods cardomom (optional)
- 2 thin slices turmeric root (optional, what about ginger root?)
BRINE (Use water to determine how much brine needed.)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt (1/2 tsp per cup brine.)
Cut ends and quarter cucumbers, and tightly pack 1 qt jar. Can top jar with pickle rounds. Measure brine needed by filling jar with water, then draining and measuring. Should need about 1 cup brine. Adjust brine amount. In small pot bring brine and spices to boil. Pour into jar over cucumbers.
Cover jar and tap to loosen air bubbles. Allow to cool and store in refrigerator.