These breakfast potatoes seem simple but require some key techniques to ensure even cooking and flavorful and crisp dish without oil. Both grilled vegetables and parboiled potatoes can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated.
- Steam, grill and broil vegetables to control moisture (day before).
- Parboil potatoes to reduce cooking time (day before).
- Bake potatoes and vegetables separately to brown without oil and retain crispness, and mix just before serving.
- 4 cups parboiled potatoes, sticks (Same parboiled potatoes used for Oven Fries.)
- 2 cups steamed-grilled vegetables (Same steamed-grilled vegetables used for Pasta Primavera.)
- 4 med (8 cups) potatoes, cut unpeeled into cubes
VEGETABLES (3 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
Cut onions, bell pepper and tomatoes into large pieces, 1/2-inch thick, large enough that they will rest on and not fall between an oven rack. In pot with heavy lid, simmer and steam (blanch) vegetables. Drain. Arrange vegetables on broiling rack or oven rack with drip pan underneath. Bake 450F until edges begin to brown, 30m. Remove broiled vegetables and chop onions and pepper into shorter lengths.
In large pot with heavy lid, simmer and steam cubed potatoes until soft but still firm. Drain and return to pot.
Place parboiled potatoes on parchment paper lined baking tray. Bake 450F 30-40m until potatoes begin to brown. Half way through turn over potatoes for even browning.
Chop broiled vegetables into smaller pieces and mix together with spices. Place vegetable mixture on another parchment paper lined baking tray. Bake in oven together with potatoes 450F 30-40m until begin to brown.
With multiple racks, bottom racks may require additional 20-30m.
Try 2nd rack 30m. Ok, but not crispy yet.