Tomatoes were domesticated in Mexico, where they are cheap and abundant. They spread to Spain and Italy in the Mediterranean, and from there back to North America and to India and Asia.
Tomatoes are the world’s most popular vegetable. Tomatoes are common in US, arriving from both Mexico and Europe.
- Marinara Sauce
- Mediterranean Salad
- 5 lb per week, family of 5
- Cost: $0.50-1.00/lb fresh cheap and abundant (common).
- Storage: Keep 3-4 days fresh, 1-2 weeks in refrigerator.
- Category: Plant
- Group: Vegetable (botany: fruit)
- Energy: 100 (82) calories/pound (wet vegetable, low)
- Macro Nutrients (C-F-P): 85-5-10 (73-9-18) (More protein than many vegetables.)