I use the boiled pasta method for other foods, including rice and potatoes.
- Bring pot of water to boil 10m.
- Spaghetti (strings) 7-9m, firm (al dente)-soft
- Fusilli (spirals) 9-11m, firm to soft
- Penne (tubes) 9-11m, firm to soft
- 1/2 package pasta: spaghetti, fusilli or penne
- 2-3 quarts (8-12 cups) water
On stove bring covered pot of water to boil with high heat, ~10m. Drop pasta into water and stir gently. Set timer according to package instructions. Bring back to gentle boil without lid. Occasionally test pasta for doneness. When done, remove from heat. Use strainer or top of pan to drain water. Do not rinse. Return pasta to pot and cover.
- Leave at least 2 inches at top of pot for pasta and boil.
- The lid helps heat the water faster.
- Use largest burner.
- Flame should not reach beyond the bottom of the pot.