Green (poblano), white (onion) and red (tomato, sweet pepper) are colors of the Mexican flag. Yucatan Mexican Rice colored with achiote paste (natural food color). Every home has different recipe. Leftovers good for filling tacos.
- Soaking brown rice in vegetable broth and bit of achiote infuses rice with flavor and color, more so than just soaking in plain water.
- Grilled vegetables add concentrated flavor without adding much moisture, which prevents steamed rice from over cooking.
- Vegetable Broth
- Grilled Vegetables: Onions, Tomatoes, Red Sweet Pepper, Poblano
- 1-1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth (1/2 cup absorbed by soaking, 1-1/2 cups used for cooking-steaming.)
- 1 cup grilled vegetables (onions, tomatoes, red sweet peppers, poblanos) chopped small
- 1 tsp achiote paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
In rice cooker, soak brown rice 2h in vegetable broth, achiote paste and salt. 1/2 cup vegetable broth will be absorbed by soaking. After soaking add chopped grilled vegetables and program rice cooker. The remaining 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth will be used during cooking-steaming. When rice cooker program is complete, stir rice and allow steam-rest additional 10m.