Rice cookers are great. Generations of Asians cooked rice in simple pots. My Chinese American apartment mate always cooked rice on the stove. One day my rice cooker broke.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups (+1/4 cup) water
- 1/8 tsp salt
Soak rice 2h. Rinse and drain rice. In stainless steel pot, with tight fitting lid, add rice, water and salt. Bring rice to boil quickly over medium-high heat, ~5m. Reduce heat to simmer, 20m. Check pot for water and test rice for doneness. If still a little firm, add 1/4 cup water and return to simmer +5m, and repeat. Remove from heat and fluff rice. Allow to rest, covered, to finish cooking in residual steam, 10m.
- Cold soak brown rice 2h or warm soak 1h. Soaking brown rice is key.
- If lid is not tight fitting, add extra 1/4 cup water.
- Smaller rice quantities use less heat, and larger quanties more heat.
- Gas stove may be too hot to simmer. Dissipate extra with heat sink, larger pot or move pot to electric hot plate.
- Use a timer and get to know the heat of your stove and properties of your pots.
- Allow 40m to cook.